YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO REGISTER AND VOTE ABSENTEE BY 6 NOVEMBER 2012!
1. If you need to REGISTER/REQUEST BALLOT you can do both online at the same time at www.FVAP.gov or www.overseasvotefoundation.org. State registration deadlines vary from early October all the way up to Election Day—see the chart below, Uniform Service Registration Deadline column.
2. If you just need to REQUEST BALLOT you can do it online at www.FVAP.gov or www.overseasvotefoundation.org. State deadlines vary from late October all the way up to election—see the chart below, Ballot Request Deadline column.
3. If your BALLOT does not come on time you can still VOTE online at www.FVAP.gov, www.overseasvotefoundation.org, or www.heroesvote.org/fwab! Access the Federal Back-up Write-in Ballot (FWAB), fill in your vote. Most states accept it by e-mail or fax or by mail postmarked anytime up to Election Day. Most states require that you have already registered and requested a ballot, but 19 states/territories (AK, AZ, AR, CO, DE, DC, GA, IA, ME, MD, MT, NE, NC, NV, OR, SC, SD, UT, or WA) only require that you send in the FWAB by Election Day. By Federal Law, this ballot is valid in all states.
About the websites:
www.FVAP.gov is the official DoD Federal Voter Assistance Program website. It has easy access to individual state and territory procedures for registering—just click on “Get Started” for military.
Click on your state:
- NOT REQUESTED A BALLOT? Some states have waved registration and will allow you just to get your ballot, others require you to request your ballot first and then immediately get your ballot on line—just follow the instructions.
- NOT GOTTEN YOUR BALLOT? Go to the state, some have online ballots but, if not, you can fill in the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot online.
- Many states allow ballots to be e-mailed or faxed, some require mail—just do it by Tuesday, 6 November!
- If you want to use the Federal Back-up Write-in Ballot (FWAB) directly, a fillable .pdf is at www.fvap.gov/reference/forms.html.
www.overseasvotefoundation.org is the website of the Overseas Vote Foundation, a non-partisan organization that has assisted military and other overseas voters for many years. Some may prefer this site to the official one—it has easy to use interactive forms and clear, detailed instructions. There are radio buttons to request ballots or to vote the FWAB on the home page.
www.heroesvote.org is a project of the non-partisan advocacy group the Military Voter Protection Project. Like the website described above it has interactive forms to register and request absentee ballots. They have now launched a special page, www.heroesvote.org/fwab, to request and vote the FWAB.
No matter your political preference, I urge you to exercise your right and responsibility to vote Tuesday 6 November. Please forward this e-mail to your fellow troops.
2012 General Election Dates and Deadlines Chart
|Please note: All dates are subject to change Chart thanks to Overseas Vote Foundation (www.overseasvotefoundation.org)|
|State||General Election Date||Uniformed Service Registration Deadline||Ballot Request Deadline|
|Alabama||Tue Nov 6||Fri Oct 26||Thu Nov 1|
|Alaska||Tue Nov 6||Sun Oct 7||Sat Oct 27|
|American Samoa||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Mon Oct 22|
|Arizona||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6|
|Arkansas||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 8||Tue Oct 30|
|California||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 22||Tue Oct 30|
|Colorado||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Tue Oct 30|
|Connecticut||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 23||Mon Nov 5|
|Delaware||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 22||Fri Nov 2|
|District of Columbia||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Tue Oct 30|
|Florida||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Wed Oct 31|
|Georgia||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Fri Nov 2|
|Guam||Tue Nov 6||Fri Oct 26||Fri Nov 2|
|Hawaii||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 8||Tue Oct 30|
|Idaho||Tue Nov 6||Fri Oct 12||Wed Oct 31|
|Illinois||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Mon Oct 29|
|Indiana||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 29||Mon Oct 29|
|Iowa||Tue Nov 6||Sat Oct 27||Mon Nov 5|
|Kansas||Tue Nov 6||Waived||Tue Nov 6|
|Kentucky||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Tue Oct 30|
|Louisiana||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Mon Nov 5|
|Maine||Tue Nov 6||Not Required||Not Required|
|Maryland||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 16||Tue Oct 30|
|Massachusetts||Tue Nov 6||Waived||Mon Nov 5|
|Michigan||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Sat Nov 3|
|Minnesota||Tue Nov 6||Not Required||Mon Nov 5|
|Mississippi||Tue Nov 6||Sat Oct 27||N/A|
|Missouri||Tue Nov 6||Wed Oct 10||Wed Oct 31|
|Montana||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6|
|Nebraska||Tue Nov 6||Fri Oct 19||Wed Oct 31|
|Nevada||Tue Nov 6||Sat Oct 6||Tue Oct 30|
|New Hampshire||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6||Mon Nov 5|
|New Jersey||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 16||Tue Oct 30|
|New Mexico||Tue Nov 6||Not Required||Fri Nov 2|
|New York||Tue Nov 6||Fri Oct 12||Fri Oct 12|
|North Carolina||Tue Nov 6||Mon Nov 5||Mon Nov 5|
|North Dakota||Tue Nov 6||Waived||Mon Nov 5|
|Ohio||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Sat Nov 3|
|Oklahoma||Tue Nov 6||Not required||Wed Oct 31|
|Oregon||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 16||N/A|
|Pennsylvania||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Mon Nov 5|
|Puerto Rico||Tue Nov 6||Mon Sep 17||Fri Sep 7|
|Rhode Island||Tue Nov 6||Sun Oct 7||Tue Oct 16|
|South Carolina||Tue Nov 6||Sat Oct 6||Mon Nov 5|
|South Dakota||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 22||Tue Nov 6|
|Tennessee||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 30||Tue Oct 30|
|Texas||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Tue Oct 30|
|Utah||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 9||Fri Nov 2|
|Vermont||Tue Nov 6||Wed Oct 31||Mon Nov 5|
|Virgin Islands||Tue Nov 6||Wed Oct 3||Fri Oct 19|
|Virginia||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 15||Tue Oct 30|
|Washington||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6||Tue Nov 6|
|West Virginia||Tue Nov 6||Tue Oct 16||Wed Oct 31|
|Wisconsin||Tue Nov 6||Wed Oct 17||Thu Nov 1|
|WI Military||Tue Nov 6||Waived||Tue Nov 6|
|Wyoming||Tue Nov 6||Mon Oct 22||Mon Nov 5|
|TBA||To Be Announced|
|Waived||State waives registration|